The primary purpose of this role is classifying seeds and/or seedlings in various germination-related tests on incoming and outgoing seed samples whilst adhering, where required, to Standard Operating Procedures. Other duties include but not limited to assisting with receipt and login of samples, initiating tests by preparing planting media, imbibing or planting seeds, or otherwise working with seeds, writing and establishing specifications, assisting in the validation of QC tests, and the writing of Standard Operating Procedures
- To conduct germination testing to AOSA/ISTA standards, and specialized test as necessary.
- To classify seeds and/or seedlings in various germination-related tests.
- To initiate tests by preparing planting media, imbibing or planting seeds, or otherwise working with seeds.
- Enter data and communicate results in an efficient and effective manner possible to achieve the max throughput required on a daily basis.
- To assist in general Lab tasks of germination planting, data entry, sample filing, sample division and washing up. To assist in other sample testing: Purity, RH, Count, Visual, Drill and Dust-off.
- To conduct quality analysis on products for both internal and external customers adhering, where required, to Standard Operating Procedures.
- To accurately create test records and Non Conformance Reports (NCRs) and to ensure data entry is up to date for your areas of accountability.
- To adhere to advice/ instructions from Supervisor with regard to business priorities and standard working practices and to prioritize own workload accordingly.
- Assist with training others in the department.
- To organize and report results of analysis as and when required meeting the labs daily KPJ targets
- To monitor and ensure all equipment is functioning within specifications and to assist in regular calibrations.
- To support R&D activities through the provision of germination, heat stress and vigour test data to the agreed schedules.
- Assist with communal laboratory tasks and equipment maintenance, and more specifically germination testing tasks and equipment.
If you are interested in applying for the position please contact: